A friend on FaceBook asked, “if you could be any superhero, who would you be?”
There were the usual responses of Batman, Superman, Ironman (only men responded) and it got me thinking of who would I be.
It took me about 2 minutes to realise that I’d be myself . I’m a mom, I’m the biggest and best superhero around. There is nobody who is more super than me or any other mom out there.
- We are faster than a speeding train – when you sprog is about to leap off the junglegym/couch/table you get there to catch them.
- We have super-sonic hearing – with 50kids calling “moooooommmmyyyy” you can pick out and distinguish your sprogs cry.
- We have super-human strength – moms have been known to lift cars off of their trapped kids, ripped doors off and we can carry a toddler and 20kgs of shopping/washing.
- We have super eye-sight – moms can see the tiny marble that baby might choke on, we can see the tiniest tear in our sprogs eyes, we can see behind us and know that our toddler is eating Nutella with their hands.
- We have healing powers – moms can make the hurt go away by merely holding our sprogs in our arms or brushing over it with our lips.
- We have limitless energy – moms can survive on little/no sleep and still have enough energy to rough and tumble and chase sprogs all over the garden and house.
- We are psychic – moms know what their sprogs are planning just by their body language and facial expressions.
- We fight injustice on behalf of our sprogs.
- We are invisible – moms can stand in the background, without being seen and watch their sprogs master a new skill or make a new friend or watch the toddler eat Nutella with their hands out the jar.
- We are tougher than tough – moms can keep their emotions in while comforting a baby/child during an injection/physio/broken bone.
- We can leap buildings – there is no wall too high for us to scale in order to get their favourite ball.
- We have a super sense of smell – moms can smell when they’re kids are getting sick and even if there are 5 kids with a poo-bum, moms can smell their own child
And yes, the “toddler scooping Nutella with her hands and eating it” incident, really did occur this week. It also happened with peanut butter.